понеділок, 15 вересня 2014 р.

A Fairy Tale About Two Dictionaries

A Fairy Tale About Two Dictionaries
Once upon a time there were two dictionaries in the indescribable Kingdom of Words. The first was Mr. Archy, a senior Dictionary of Archaic Words, who always reflected on literary circumstances. The second one was Urbi, a boy, who was a bit green dictionary. He was a daydreamer, who would rather look, how the old spruce tree was reflected in the river, than absorb new information.
One day Urbi saw Mr. Archy, who was reading a book in the orchard. “Good morning, Mr. Archy! What are you reading?” asked the boy. However, he had only nodded his head, and then continued reading. Urbi came closer and saw a strange book with a lot of inexplicable words. They seemed to be pointless for him, so the boy had only shrugged his shoulders, and went away. The next day, he saw Mr. Archy again with a noticeable new book.
“Mr. Archy, could you do me a favour and explain what is this book about?” requested Urbi.  Mr. Archy raised his eyebrows, smiled at him and said, “My dear fellow, this is a worthwhile book, which describes the origin of ancient words.”
“Do you keep in mind all these words?”
“Sure. I could easily recognize one word from another.”
“But how do you take in so much information?” asked the inquiring boy.
“When I was as young as you, Urbi, there were eventful times. There were a lot of poets, who were writing their masterpieces and creating new words. So, I had a great opportunity to learn them and enrich my knowledge. Later, of course, these words were simplified, but a lion’s share of them is still in use,” replied the old man.
“What an amazing story, Mr. Archy,” said Urbi.” I’m ashamed of my previous behavior. Also, I feel ashamed for wasting so much time. I give you assurance, that I’ll be a reputable dictionary in the future.”
It's been a long time, since Urbi was a young boy. Nowadays, he is a famous Urban Dictionary. However, even having a large following in the Kingdom of Words, he doesn’t forget about Mr. Archy.


4 коментарі:

  1. Hmm... Your story is written in high spirits. It seems that Urbi is a boy-example for people who are wasting their free time istead of making something worthful. I understand that young generation is a power, and older - an experience and rationalism.

    ВідповістиВидалити
  2. Автор видалив цей коментар.

    ВідповістиВидалити
  3. To tell the truth, I am captivated by your story. It is really worthwhile reading. As a matter of fact, I am genuinely happy that Urbi became a reputable dictionary and now has its own following. Indeed, I anticipated a good ending to the fairy tale. Nevertheless, I am impressed by the persistence of this boy thanks to which he accomplished his goal.

    ВідповістиВидалити
  4. Wow…I must say you excel at writing stories! This one is quite emotive and captivating. It made reflect upon the relationships between people in the whole, not only upon these lovely dictionaries)
    I can see you’re inclined to think about high feelings and make them clear to others. That’s why I think your story is worth reading for people of all ages.

    ВідповістиВидалити